Tuesday, August 5, 2008

As Nice as They Say- DJ Nice

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Exclusive interview with one of the hottest dj's in the game.
His mixtapes has been featured on MTV's Mixtape Monday and in The Ozone Magizine
he's worked with artist such as Tyga , Joe Budden, and Joell Ortiz
just to name a few, And when it comes to his skills i mean....
His name say's it all Nice..Dj Nice that is




Boogie of ToyBoxMag: lets start with the basics: Name, Age, and Location.

DJ Nice: DJ Nice, 20, New Haven, CT.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: How long you been DJ-ing?

DJ Nice: Picked up my 1st kit when I was 13 but, didn't start getting serious with it until about 17.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Word? Sounds like you been mixing longer than that. What inspired you to get serious with it?

DJ Nice: Thanks. Mix-tapes actually inspired me. I've always been a fan of them more than albums. DJ's like Clue and Green Lantern made me want to get into the mix-tape game.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Speaking of mix-tapes, when did you drop your first mix-tape?

DJ Nice: I've dropped small ones here and there but, I consider my 1st real tape to be "Lost Sessions" that I did with Joe Budden in March of 08 and it also landed me my 1st MTV Mix-tape Monday feature and broke me in the game.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Yeah I heard that. I downloaded it off Datpiff.com. Any other artists ,tapes, etc., the fans should be looking out for?

DJ Nice: I dropped a tape in June with Joell Ortiz who was signed to Aftermath under Dre and it made an MTV Monday Mix-tape feature, and I also dropped two tapes with Tyga who is Lil Wayne's artist under Young Money and Travis of Gym Class Heroe's cousin, which were featured in Ozone Magazine.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: I see you're making big moves.

DJ Nice: I'm trying, lol. It's definitely not an over-night process.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: I dig you on that lol. Hmm, my first understanding of mix-tapes was that they were based around the DJ. You would have the DJ feature who was hot at the time. Do you find now the artist is controlling the mix-tape a little more?

DJ Nice: Well, there are different lanes in mix-tapes. You have exclusive tapes, in which the DJ plays the top 20-25 newest or hottest tracks from a variety of artists. Then, you have artist tapes which I am most known for, which focus on a particular artist and showcases them. Next, you have blend tapes in which DJ's take acapellas and remix them over different beats and showcase their skills. Exclusive and artist tapes are both pretty much equal in popularity. Artists definitely have more control now as they choose to host tapes and do specific exclusive tracks for DJ's.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Speaking of those artist tapes, I heard you and Tyga finishing up a 3rd mix-tape or am I speaking to soon?

DJ Nice: Yeah, I'm actually finishing it up over the next few days and illroots.com will be premiering it.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Yeah, that's what's up rite there. Are there any artist you want to work with?

DJ Nice: I definitely want to do another tape with Joe Budden, possibly a "Lost Sessions" Part 2. I want to do a tape with Ransom as well and I'd love to do a tape with Styles P. from Lox/D-Block.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Joey, Ransom, Styles, all northern artists. Hmm, you ever plan on working with any southern artist? Or have you already?

DJ Nice: My artist Cambatta that I'm pushing is out of Tampa, Florida, and has tracks with Ran, Skyzoo, and Tyga. As for others, I'm definitely a fan of T.I. and Jeezy, and would definitely work with them.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: That's what's up. Besides DJ-ing, is any other things you dabble in?

DJ Nice: I have an associates degree in visual communications and I freelance graphic design on the side. I actually designed the "Lost Sessions" cover as well as the Joell Ortiz "Brooklyn Bomber" cover.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Before we bring this interview to a close, how can the fans check out your tapes, contact you, or give shout-outs?

DJ Nice: You can check me out at myspace.com/djnice013 where I post everything I'm doing up-to-date or you can hit me up at djnice013@yahoo.com. I'd like to thank you for the interview and give a shout to my partners Legend, PDA, and Mike Waxx of illroots.com.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: And one last question, What is your favorite song to throw on that would just turn any party out, lol?

DJ Nice: I don't know about over there but, "Doo Doo Brown" still makes ladies go sick up here, lol, but if you want to talk hip-hop. I'd have to say Freeway "Flipside" or Joe Budden "Pump It Up". Two classics that still get the crowd jumping every time out here.

Boogie of ToyBoxMag: Lol, yeah that Doo Doo Brown do the same down here. Ha ha.

DJ Nice: Ha ha.




No comments: